Sunday, February 18, 2007

TV Squad Reviews A Day In the Life

TV Squad's review of the latest episode:


Battlestar Galactica: A Day in the Life
battlestar galactica a day in the life
(S03E15) I had every intention to start listening to Ron Moore's podcast before this episode aired so I could incorporate his thoughts into my review. But wouldn't you know it, it's delayed this week. Anyway, I'll start next week.

I clearly wasn't alone last week with my disappointment in that episode, and several of you were dreading what was previewed for this week. I've learned some time ago that, with this show, you can't trust what the previews show you, so I try to come into every episode clean.

I thought the visuals we were given into Adama's past were a much needed way of making the Admiral seem more "human" to us. It's made clear that this isn't nearly the first time he's had his little talks with his wife. This portion of the episode also paves the way more for Adama and Roslin's relationship to continue, Adama's making it clear that he's a man with duties this time, ones that might get in the way -- something that didn't seem to work so well with his ex-wife.

As afraid as everyone was about Chief and Callie's predicament being yet another cookie-cutter episode, I was still on the edge of my seat when it came time to blow that hatch. It really was a small part of the episode when you think of it. I was impressed with the amount of detail the writers put into the situation, from the options they had (and didn't have) to how the rescue operation would be carried out.

Random thought: Why does Athena always look so pissy when she's given orders? Did you notice her reaction during the rescue scene when she was warned of shrapnel and turbulence?

The way the set directors and designers make the Galactica feel very much like a beaten, old steel horse is fantastic. You consistently see how much of a hammering the ship has taken both inside and out, and in turn the story and actors play out to remind you how bad their situation really is without telling you so outright.

Now I know why it's felt like forever since we've seen some in-space battle action: it's been over a month on the Galactica since a Cylon encounter. I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I'm ready to see the outside of the Galactica again soon. This was a good episode and all, but I'm feeling cooped up like the people in these ships -- maybe that's the point?

Current fleet population: 41,398

No comments: